The multi-award winning band Monsieur Doumani was formed in 2011 in Nicosia, Cyprus by Antonis Antoniou (tzouras), Angelos Ionas (guitar) and Demetris Yiasemides (trombone, flute). Coming from different musical backgrounds, but influenced by the Cypriot tradition at various levels Monsieur Doumani compose Cypriot songs that draw inspiration from contemporary Cypriot society as well as from the shaky conditions of our era. The original identity of the project was determined by the adaptation of Cypriot traditional pieces, with a special contemporary color in sound and mood, forming a style distinctively their own.
Their live appearances in festivals and venues worldwide (WOMAD, Globaltica, Bardentreffen, Konzerthaus Vienna, Paradiso, etc) have been very well-received by diverse audiences and their music has been presented on radio stations around the globe, such as BBC, NPR, Radio France, Sveriges Radio, PBS FM Melbourne etc. Monsieur Doumani have released 3 studio albums which gained them their worldwide recognition.
Their much-awaited 3rd album with the symbolic name ‘Angathin’ (which translates as ‘thorn’) addresses more than ever, the political, social and activist concerns and sensitivities of the group members and it is a call for rebellion against corruption, racism and injustice. It was released on the 23rd of Feb 2018.
In March 2015 Monsieur Doumani released their second full-length album, ‘Sikoses’, which was nominated for the prestigious ’Preis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik 2015‘ and also brought them a nomination in Songlines Music Awards 2016 in two categories: ‘Best Group’ and ‘Europe’. Sikoses also reached No.1 in World Music Network’s June 2015 chart and No.1 in the November 2015 Transglobal World Music Chart.
In May 2013 Monsieur Doumani released their first full-length album entitled ’Grippy Grappa’, which gained them a nomination for ‘Best Newcomer’ in Songlines Music Awards 2014. The album Grippy Grappa, which is mainly comprised of reworkings of traditional Cypriot pieces, has received excellent reviews from international media.
Awards and Highlights
- Nominated in Songlines Music Awards 2016 for ‘Best Group’ and ‘Europe’
- Nominated for “Preis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik” 2015
- PopMatters: The Best World Music of 2015
- Nominated in Songlines Music Awards 2014 for ‘Best Newcomer’
- 2015 fROOTS Critics Poll: Runner up ‘Best Album of the Year’
- 2015 fROOTS Critics Poll: Runner up ‘Best Package Album of the Year’
- European Music Export Exchange ‘Hits From Europe 2017’
- Mad TV Awards Cyprus: Nominated for ‘Best Cypriot Group 2015’
- Ferrara Buskers Festival 2012: Awarded as ‘3rd Favourite Group’